Friday, February 4, 2011

Tom Fletcher of Nottingham Audio passes almost unnoticed

Just learned this morning the sad news that the man who gave us the Space deck tables and arms, not to mention the Anna Log, and the no-switch motor, passed away last year. Long-term Nottingham dealer, Brian Kurtz of Austin's Sound Mind Audio sent the following note, so well worded that I reproduce it here:

"I just got word that Tom Fletcher, founder of Nottingham Analogue, has passed on.  Tom had backed away from Nottingham Analogue several years ago when cancer had him down; selling the company to a worthy group of individuals who agreed to maintain the company at the highest level of quality (which they have, of course, done) regardless of his condition.  

Tom’s health had improved and he had, at one point, wanted to regain control of the company, but the group to which he’d handed the reins thought it best to keep things as they were, and Tom left to start a new company, Fletcher Audio.  He and I actually spoke a few months back and he was brimming with hope for what was to come.  He was quite enthusiastic about a new turntable and tonearm lineup he was planning, and was hoping to bring them to market sometime in the future after current prototypes were completed.

At 16, Tom was machining turntable parts, and before the age of 20, had a crew of a dozen folks or more, building Nottingham Analogue turntables.  50,000 turntables and 40-plus years later, Nottingham Analogue still makes the best turntables for the money I’ve ever heard. Tom’s gone, but his legacy spins forever, with no power switch J (Tom’s tables are known for their ultra-low-torque motors that require no power switch)."

Thanks Brian, for the words. More can be found at Fletcher Audio's tribute page.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought my 1st high-end-ish turntable from Tom, the Interspace c/w a tweaked RB250 arm that was in 1996.
It was Tom I personally dealt with on the phone.

Complete gentleman and so sorry to hear he has passed but his legacy is designing and building some of the most amazing looking and sounding turntable at a very reasonable price.

R.I.P

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom is my Grandfather, I only meet him once , I am looking for more information about him please if you know anything email me on briainmc1994@gmail.com

PatrickD said...

Thanks for commenting -- and while it's been awhile, I extend my sympathies. I did not know your grandfather though obviously I knew people who did and heard his tables in various set ups over the years (almost buying one too). I can confirm he was very well regarded among audiophiles of a vinyl persuasion. Perhaps others reading this might have some insights?