Wednesday, October 11, 2017

RMAF 2017 part IV

Lots of other stuff caught my attention, some for a moment, some for considerably longer. While I don't have huge interest in all the latest high-tech gadgets working magic in the digital domain, I was quite impressed with the sonics in the Merging Tech room. Their transport and networking DAC (called the Player and NADAC in their lingo) have their origins in studio technologies but are presented here for home use employing the Ravenna open-source audio over IP, which for the rest of us means it is pretty easy to get this thing to play music everywhere and anywhere you need it.

Set up with an Ayre power amp and Sistrum rack, to the fore of a pair of $3k Definitive Tech speakers, the music was actually gorgeous. Kudos, as always to set-up expert and charming host Michael Broughton, it was possible to sit here and not want to leave the haven in an otherwise quite rough environment of the RMAF hotel. Highlight for me: Luna's Tender Surrender, which simply was magical and uplifting, unlike so much else being played at the show.


At the opposite end of the technology front, I had to admire the passion and commitment of those hardy folks who have an alternative view of audio. The Audio Kinesis Azels look different, are toed-in aggressively and, with their rear coaxial driver induce a delay in reflected sound that aims to create  sense of space. I quite enjoyed the results.   Similarly, the Lejonklou room was mostly about their electronics but I could not help give most of my attention to the use of JBL flat speakers, products aimed at cinemas but co-opted here as stereo speakers (and only $800 or so each, shipped). Not too attractive looking but I noticed some people quite taken by the price and those large woofers.

For real oddball innovation though I have to hand it to Swan Song Audio whose Black Swan speakers really caught my eye. With 18" woofers and a top mounted horn, all on a beautiful wooden cabinet, these heavyweight high-efficiency transducers looked like nothing else. Chief Tony Crocker has a unique passion for exploring the unconventional and producing something unique, in small numbers, including a 3W 6NS7-only SET amp. The results proved easy and engaging when Dark Side of the Moon was spun on an SME 20/3, causing at least one person in the room with me to sigh and slightly complain that this made him re-think his decision to quit vinyl. I liked it enough that I sat through a side, even though time was catching up with me.

Tony tells me that given their size, he is willing to host visitors interested in purchases and cover travel costs to their Tulsa base (check with him for details). Thank goodness there are still folks out there pushing the bespoke, unique product lines in audio like Swan Song.

More mainstream, but sounding very smooth and relaxed were the Von Schweikert VR55s, where I found host Damon even spinning vinyl on a Kronos table that wins the award for good looks. The ZYX cartridge seemed a little tight to me but I enjoyed these speakers and had them spin Robbie Robertson to help clear the RMAF-induced Dire Straits ache from my ears.  In the connected room, a pair of Endeavor 3s were really making music, but you had to know it was there to hear it. These are normal home size speakers with outstanding musicality.  Those inquisitive enough to make it back there seemed to enjoy what they were hearing when I was there.

Speaking of musical interludes, I smiled to myself passing one room on Saturday when I heard Whitesnake belting out the door. Inside, a rack of vintage NAD gear and small PSB bookshelves were pumping out the memories, with an original NAD amp from back in the 1980s doing the honors to show just how long those guys have been around.

Ditto Sunday when a re-visit to the ModWright/Studio Electric room was ensured when AC/DC belting out caught my ear. I'd been there earlier in the show when Dan of ModWright was switching between his excellent 200w integrated and a new mini-sized low power tube amp which can run headphones or efficient speakers. While there an attendee asked to hear the Carpenters and Dan asked us all to stick around and listen to it played on both amps, and then with both StudioElectric standmounts and floorstanders. Amazingly, the tube amp managed both but I felt, oddly, that the tubes sounded a bit harsher on the top end than integrated. Either way, I never heard the Carpenters sound so good -- but not quite as good as AC/DC!

Still more loose ends to tidy up, I did hear a lot more stuff, but that's the main story as I recall it - I'll add some more observations over the weekend, but am sure I have forgotten tons already.







No comments: