Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Speaking of Hendrix

Amazon link
I can't complain about the various releases coming out as I recently purchased the 9 LP resissue of the older velvet purple box, The Jimi Hendrix Experience Box Set.  Sadly, it's no longer boxed in velvet, and am sure the source is digital but it's a fine collection, both musically and sonically. Previously I'd thought there was not enough  interesting material on it to warrant purchase but when I found it competitively priced compared to used older sets, I bit the bullet.

Packaging is decent, though the individual album sleeves are basic. Contains good book, sized to read (!) and the quality of the vinyl in my copy was uniformly high. The sonics vary, obviously given the range of source material used, but there's enough good stuff here to enjoy and this forms the majority of the collection. It's an overwhelming collection in some ways, hard to review without getting into the minutia of Hendrix's catalog, but even though I have a fairly large Hendrix collection already, and tend to side with those who feel the albums released while he was alive are the only essentials, this collection still seems worthy to me.

The price varies considerably so if interested, search around or park it in your Amazon cart and watch it for a few days (it just changed $14 while I was editing this entry!).

No comments: